Gas leak forces evacuations
- October 10, 2003
- Stephen Yeargin, Executive Editor
- Section: Cover
University Street was closed briefly Monday afternoon about 2:15 for a natural gas leak, Public Safety officials said. Chief Rick Hatler said that a construction crew member accidentally struck a gas main while on the job at the Alumni Gymnasium.
The sound of leaking gas could be heard easily across the street at Gooch Hall.
Hatler said that because the wind was so strong Monday, the leaking gas would likely dissipate long before it could cause problems.
He added that he didn’t believe there was any danger to people behind the police line.
Both the football building and the alumni gym were evacuated. Martin Public Works Department was also on the scene aiding in the repairs.
Public Safety vehicles blocked both ends of University Street at the intersection of Mt. Pelia and Moody Avenue.